SharePoint is a powerful collaboration tool used by businesses and organizations around the world. It allows teams to work on projects together, share important information, and manage documents. Sharing documents on SharePoint is essential to this collaboration process. In this article, we'll go over how to share documents on SharePoint and some best practices to help streamline your collaboration process.
Before we dive into the process, let's briefly break down the different ways you can share documents on SharePoint.
Different methods of document sharing on SharePoint:
1. Sharing a document or folder with a specific user or group.
2. Sharing a document or folder with anyone in the organization.
3. Creating a view-only link to a document or folder.
Now that we've covered the different ways to share documents on SharePoint let's explore how to do it in detail.
Step-by-step guide to sharing documents on SharePoint:
1. First, open SharePoint and navigate to the library or folder containing the document you want to share.
2. Select the document you want to share, then click the "Share" button at the top of the page.
3. In the "Share" dialog box, you'll see a field labeled "Enter names or email addresses." Here, you can type in the email addresses of the people you want to share the document with.
4. After you've entered the email addresses of all the users you want to share the document with, you can choose whether they should be able to edit the document or just view it.
5. If you want to add a personal message to the email invitation, click "Add a message" and type in your message.
6. Lastly, hit the "Send" button to share the document. The users you've invited will receive an email that includes a link to the document they can access.
Alternatively, you can also create a view-only link to share with people that aren't part of your SharePoint environment. This is a great way to share documents with vendors, clients, or other partners without giving them full access to your SharePoint environment.
To create a view-only link:
1. Navigate to the document or folder you want to share, then click the "Share" button at the top of the page.
2. In the "Share" dialog box, click the "Create link" button.
3. Select "View only" from the "Choose link type" dropdown.
4. Click "Create" to generate the view-only link.
5. Copy the link and share it with the people you want to give view-only access to.
Now that we've gone over how to share documents on SharePoint, let's discuss some best practices to help ensure a smooth collaboration process.
Best practices for sharing documents on SharePoint:
1. Create clear folder structures: Before you start sharing documents, make sure you have clear folder structures in place. This will make it easier for people to find what they're looking for and avoid duplicate documents.
2. Use descriptive filenames: Use descriptive filenames for your documents. This will make them easier to recognize at a glance and make it easier for people to find them.
3. Only share what's necessary: Only share documents with the people that need to see them. This will help prevent confusion and ensure that sensitive information is kept confidential.
4. Set clear permissions: Make sure you set clear permissions when sharing documents to avoid unauthorized access. Only grant edit permissions to those who need it, and ensure view-only links are used for external parties.
5. Keep track of changes: Use version history to keep track of changes to documents. This will help ensure you're working with the latest version and avoid potential errors.
By following these best practices, you can help streamline collaborations on SharePoint and ensure a smooth document sharing process. Remember, clear communication and organization are essential to successful collaboration, so take the time to establish effective workflows for your team.
Check out HelpRange
Check out our product HelpRange. It is designed to securely store (GDPR compliant), share, protect,
sell, e-sign and analyze usage of your documents.